By Debbie Rozear
PCB members, I am reaching out to each and every person asking for your help. Do you want to contribute to your organization and make a difference? It is time to start thinking about who our award recipients are going to be this year at the PCB Conference. Is there someone who has touched your life or stands out to you because of something they have done? We want to honor individuals who have positively impacted your life or the lives of people you know with vision loss. Please read the criteria and nomination form that follow. Submit your nomination today. It is not too early to start getting the documentation in place.
Also, there are openings available on our team for new members. If anyone is interested in participating on the Affiliate and Membership Relations Team, please email Jule Ann Lieberman at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 610-688-6517 in the evening. We are eager to welcome new members with fresh, new ideas.
Pennsylvania Council of the Blind (PCB) Awards Criteria
PCB believes that individuals, organizations, and companies who make a difference in the lives of people who are blind or visually impaired need to be recognized for their commitment. Each year at the PCB Conference, we celebrate the work of these advocates by bestowing the Distinguished Service Award(s), Honorary Service Award(s), the Corporate Service Award(s), and the Lifetime of Distinguished Service Award(s). Nominations for any of these awards can be made by any individual or organization that supports the work of PCB. The criteria for these awards follow:
PCB Distinguished Service Award
* The recipient must be blind or vision impaired.
* The recipient must be a resident of Pennsylvania.
* The recipient must have demonstrated a satisfactory adjustment to his/her disability.
* The recipient must be acknowledged by the “blind community” for having performed outstanding service(s) for the blind.
* The recipient, through example and effort, must have represented to the community at large the capabilities and respectability of blind and vision impaired persons.
PCB Honorary Service Award
* These award(s) may be given to an individual, with or without sight, who has performed meritorious service to the blind or for the blind community.
* These award(s) may be made either in memory of a person, or to a person now living.
PCB Corporate Service Award
* The recipient of this award shall have made a significant difference in the life of blind or vision impaired persons through a product, a service, or its employment practices; or
* This award may be presented to a corporation/agency/foundation that has provided significant support to the mission or projects of PCB.
PCB Lifetime of Distinguished Service Award
* The award(s) may be given to an individual, with or without sight, who has performed at least 20 years of meritorious service to the blind or for the blind community.
* The recipient(s) must be 60 years of age or older.
* The recipient’s service contributions must be well recognized in the community in which they live or throughout the state or nation as significant to the betterment of the lives of those with vision loss.
Note: The Awards Selection Team may not make prejudicial selections of award recipients based on age, nationality, race, religion, creed, or gender of an individual.
PCB AWARD NOMINATION FORM
Submit your nominations in your preferred format by Monday, August 1, 2016. Email electronic nominations to: email@example.com. Typed or brailed nominations should be sent to: Debbie Rozear, 1415 South 3rd St., Allentown, PA 18103. Call 610-791-4830 with questions.
Please give the following information about your nominee:
Name of the award for which you are making this nomination:
____ Distinguished Service
____ Honorary Service
____ Corporate Service
____ Lifetime of Distinguished Service
Please include the reason for your nomination in 100 words or less along with any additional supporting materials.