SAVE THE DATE! On Tuesday, November 3rd 2015 starting at 8:00 p.m. The Low Vision Committee of The Pennsylvania Council of the Blind will hold a teleconference call focusing on topics that we think will be of interest to anyone with a desire to discuss issues pertaining to low vision.
Here are some of the topics we have come up with so far. Since our time will be limited, one of the following topics has been chosen by the Committee for the call-in.
1. Effects of poor lighting and contrast on the ability for persons with low vision to function confidently.
2. Complications caused by decreasing and/or fluctuating vision.
3. Anxiety caused by not being able to rely on failing vision to accomplish a task when in the company of sighted family or friends.
4. The temptation some persons with low vision have which may lead them to act as if they are able to see better than they actually can
5. Reluctance to adopt the use of alternative techniques and skills when vision no longer is sufficient to accomplish routine activities of daily living.
6. Uncomfortable feelings sometimes felt by persons with low vision when they feel certain family members and friends lack understanding of their vision loss situation.
7. Unanswered questions low vision patients may have about their visual diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and in some cases, how long will it be until they see normally again.
We know some of these topics are not easy to talk about, but we believe some of us have experienced some of these situations, or we know someone who is facing such challenges every day.
Get ready to join the dialogue. We have chosen topic No. 4. The temptation some persons with low vision have which may lead them to act as if they are able to see better than they actually can. We guarantee this discussion will be out of sight, baby.
Here are the call-in instructions:
Dial this phone number: (712) 432-0800
When prompted, enter this passcode: 200723 followed by the # (pound sign) key.
Then, just wait for other folks to come onboard.
(If you don’t have a nation-wide calling plan, arrange to have someone three way you on the call.
Feel free to direct any comments or suggestions you have to Ed Facemyer, Low Vision Committee Chair.
Phone: 610 647-3365. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org As always, we invite you to post your comments to this blog.
Committee members: Phil Habowski, Diane Krek, Sherri Rodgers and Donna Williams. Monitor, John Horst.