If you have never attended a PCB Conference and Convention, we invite you to apply for one of our first-timer scholarships. This year’s conference will be held October 18-21 at the Doubletree by Hilton in Pittsburgh. Don’t let the name of the event fool you, in addition to informative conference-style presentations on all matters relevant to people with blindness and vision loss, the weekend is full of fun activities including: product and service-related exhibits; an audio dart challenge; a mystery dinner theatre production; a live auction; and an accessible tour. The weekend provides an amazing opportunity to meet and learn from others with vision loss and develop lasting, quality friendships. Most frequently, attendees comment on the safe, welcoming atmosphere where the focus is independence and accessibility among peers. Please read on for details about the scholarships.
What does a scholarship include?
• Ground transportation to and from the conference site in Pittsburgh
• 3 nights lodging at the conference hotel (double occupancy)
• Stipend for meals while at the conference
• Conference registration fees
• For High School and College Students who are blind or visually impaired (given priority) or:
• College students with sight enrolled in a blindness-related area of study
Newly Adjusting to Vision Loss Scholarship
• Must have experienced significant vision loss within the last five years
PCB Member Scholarship
• Must have been a dues-paid member for 2017 and 2018
• Must actively participate in PCB offerings such as a chapter, discussion calls, fundraising efforts, advocacy projects, work teams, or newsletter content.
How to Apply?
• Choose your preferred format, braille, audio file, or Word document
• Provide your name, full mailing address, phone number, email address, and which scholarship you seek
• In approximately 250 words, tell us about you, your blindness or vision loss, how you meet the scholarship requirements, and why you wish to attend the PCB Conference
• If possible, include the name of a PCB member who would provide a reference for you
• Submit all application materials by Friday, September 7, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org or PCB, 931 N. Front Street, Suite B, Harrisburg, PA 17102.
For questions regarding any of the first-timer scholarships, contact PCB Membership Leader, Mary Ann Grignon at 570-807-1276 or email@example.com.