By George S. Holliday, Chair
The 2015 Pennsylvania Council of the Blind’s 80th annual State Convention and Conference will begin on Thursday, October 15 at the Crown Plaza Harrisburg-Hershey. It is time to start thinking about this year’s election.
The following positions are up for election: President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and the four board positions held by Debbie Rozear, Joseph Wassermann, Edgar Facemyer, and Al Pietrolungo.
The Candidates’ Forum will be held during the general session on Friday, October 16. At that time, you will hear from fellow PCB members about why they are seeking one of the positions. Candidates who are unable to attend the convention may delegate someone to speak on their behalf during the forum. The elections will be held the next day during the afternoon session.
If you are interested in running for one of these positions, submit your name along with a bio and explanation of why you would like to hold the position to the Nominating Committee no later than Tuesday, September 1, 2015. All candidate information should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read on for additional details regarding qualifications for Candidates, structure of the candidate’s bio, and guidelines for the Candidates’ Forum.
I. Qualifications for Candidates for the PCB Board of Directors
A. Background of candidate
1. Some degree of experience in advocacy activity.
2. Ability to participate on and chair a committee.
3. Time available to work on one or more PCB committees.
B. Preferred qualifications
1. Experience on one or more PCB committees.
2. Demonstrated leadership qualities.
3. Ability to communicate via email and have basic technology skills.
4. History of membership in the American Council of the Blind.
C. Expectations of board members
1. Attendance at all meetings of the PCB Board of Directors with the exception only of medical or other compelling reason.
2. Responsibility for and in attendance at all meetings for which the board member is chair with the exception only of medical or other compelling reason.
3. In attendance for a majority of the meetings of a committee on which the board member serves.
4. Committee chairs will be responsible for submitting a committee report two weeks prior to each board meeting.
5. Board members shall read all submitted committee reports prior to the board meeting.
II. Candidate’s bio shall be no more than 250 words and shall be submitted to the PCB Nominating Committee at: email@example.com no later than September 1, 2015. All bios meeting the criteria set forth in this document, will be posted to PCB members through various PCB outlets including: the PCB website and the PCB-L and PCB-Leadership email lists. Candidate’s bios shall include the following:
A. Advocacy participation/experience
B. Past or present participation on a PCB committee
C. Reason for desiring a position on the PCB Board of Directors
III. Guidelines for the Candidates Forum
A. Anyone who submitted a bio to the PCB Nominating Committee according to the prescribed content and deadline may participate in the Candidates’ Forum if the chair of the Nominating Committee is notified of this desire no less than one hour prior to the Forum.
B. Each candidate for the board will be given the same set of questions. During the Forum, a candidate will present an answer to the one mandatory question, and the candidate shall choose one other question to answer in the allotted time.
C. Each candidate for an office of the board will be given the same set of questions. During the Forum a candidate will present an answer to the one mandatory question, and the candidate shall choose one other question to answer in the allotted time.
IV. Questions for candidates for the board of directors
Prepared answers shall be presented at the Candidates’ Forum within a three-minute time limit.
Questions for candidates for the board of directors and for an office will be distributed once the slate has been chosen.
Note: To contact the chair of the Nominating Committee regarding any part of this process, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-796-9813.